This domain name is up for sale. Please send your offer to hostmaster@elatomo.com.

rodd1s' ex-turbo Lanos [1349 sleeper in the making]

Here you can find images and specs of our member's car. Please use the gallery to upload your pictures.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Re: rodd1s' ex-turbo Lanos [1349 sleeper in the making]

Postby gse_turbo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:55 pm

I know you haven't exactly gone anywhere, but, WELCOME BACK!!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Postby benzino » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:14 am

I don't know why they called it an Astra coupe, they should have just stuck a calibra badge on the back...
Are you going to zLET it?
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
benzino
Expert

Postby Rodd1s » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:50 am

I know, it really is just a modern day Calibra, but it's based on the Astra G, where as the Calibra was quite different from the likes of the Astra F.
Over here it is cheaper to buy an Astra coupe 2.0 turbo than it is to do a conversion, I paid £1600 for this one, but a similar age turbo can be had for less than a grand on top of that.

For now this is just a run-around for me and my partner as we've just moved out so can't afford two cars at the moment - she's already agreed to as soon as we can afford a second car I can go all out, buy a Lanos and go crazy. I might even do a turbo conversion again, and this time do it right. Just need the space to keep a second car and be able to afford to run and insure it etc.

At the moment 1.3 Lanos' are often found for sub-£500 prices, so chances are I'll go back to the 1349cc motor. the 1.5s are nowhere to be found - I literally have not seen one for over 3 years, at all. And the majority of 1.6s are automatic. I did originally plan to buy another Lanos before May this year (for the BHP car show at a local race track), but having to fork out for rent and deposits meant getting rid of one of our two cars, and trading the diesel Merc for something better on fuel.

Not to fear, soon enough I'll start a new thread for a new Lanos :-) (because, let's face it, Lanos' are cool and drive better than most other things I've laid my hands on)
ex-Lanos owner.
Claim to fame: built the first 1.3 8v turbo Lanos in the world..?
Rodd1s
Expert

Postby benzino » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:41 am

it's funny you want to go back to the lanos...
for my next car I want to get an astra G GSI, I hope I wouldn't regret it and go back to the lanos :lol:
benzino
Expert

Postby Rodd1s » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:12 pm

I'd quite like an Astra GSI, but they are becoming hard to find, and the turbo coupe is popular alternative as it has the same engine.

Ultimately, I want a 888 coupe! But there aren't many left on the roads and I fear they are getting more expensive as time goes on.
ex-Lanos owner.
Rodd1s
Expert

Postby benzino » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:32 am

The turbo we got here is a bit of an oddball, it's an SRI-T in every way except it has the GSI big mouth front bumper and 197bhp map.
I wish the turbo we got here had the half leather recaro seats of the GSI, the full leather SRI-T seats are a bit slidey.

Good turbos here still sell for about AU$9000 which is over GBP6000! :lol: they never sold well here, but they are an amazingly well rounded car. Awesome boot (swallows up 2 mountain bikes with the back seats down), my partner's is mapped at 200hp at the wheels, and still gets 6.5-7l/100km on the highway.

I just hope there are some good ones around when I'm ready to buy...
benzino
Expert

Postby Rodd1s » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:42 pm

We've got the SRI Turbo here as well, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever, because it's just a GSI with more stock looking bumpers.

Recently I've been keepin my eyes on the auto trader and quite a few 1.6 3dr manuals have popped up for under £500... if I had somewhere to keep it locked up (as I can't afford insurance and fuel for two cars at the moment) and be able to work on it I'd buy one now... but it's just a waiting game :(
ex-Lanos owner.
Rodd1s
Expert

Postby benzino » Wed May 01, 2013 4:34 am

don't forget the SRI you get has less BHP compared to the GSI as well...
I just wish we got the half-leather recaros, they look so nice
benzino
Expert

Postby Rodd1s » Wed May 01, 2013 9:07 am

9bhp less is negligible really, and can easily be made up again with some minor changes.

The recaro interior over here go for £500 second hand if you can find a set, and that usually only consists of front seats. I'd happily do what I did before and opt for some Subaru buckets as they are found everywhere on ebay. damn comfortable, too!

Been keeping my eye on auto trader and ebay, and there are still tons of 1.6 3dr lanos hatches popping up on a daily basis - I've been trying to convince my fiancee to let me buy one and keep it in the carpark and park her coupe on the road while I save up some money for insurance, tax and mods to get it on the road lol
ex-Lanos owner.
Rodd1s
Expert

Previous

Return to Member's Cars and specs